AIT Mechanism; Aging/noise damage

L&S L&S at helping-hands.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 15:17:31 EST 1996

In article <Pine.PMDF.3.91.961105170629.289461911A-
100000 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, Brian Sandle
<exti079 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes
>To what extent do the sounds of audio integration training act to
>free up glue ear or other middle ear trouble? What level of sound
>will do that, and what dose?
>
>Shouldn't such things as wearing a balaclava at night be tried first,
>as well as good nutrition/biochemical environment?
>
>If a tester says a 36 year old's hearing is aged as if he were in
>his 50s how is he distinguishing between aging and the use of noisy
>machinery/attendance at loud music? How does this affect the
>training procedure/result?
>
>I am a little suspicious of this trainer since previously I have been
>told that AIT only works on the processing of the information.
>
>Brian Sandle

Dear Brian,

AIT is not a cure for glue ear or any other ear problem. No level of
sound will do that. People considering AIT for ADD. Autism, learning
disability etc. are advised to clear up any ear infections and/or glue
ear BEFORE undergoing treatment. If the ear is clogged up with -glue-
there is little liklihood that the AIT is going to benefit him/her.

For more information as to what AIT and Sound Modulation can actually
do, please let me know if you want to be sent a Newsletter, just off the
press.

--
L&S