Hipro & Noah HA Fitting software/hardware - queries

Tony Dwyer tdwyer at ibm.net
Fri Nov 8 09:25:59 EST 1996

audioman at HCTC.NET (Jeffrey Sirianni) wrote:

>{Tony Dwyer writes:}
>
>>I am interested to hear of others experiences with the Noah
>>software....etc
>
>Thanks Tony for bringing up this topic.  I am considering a new fitting
>and progrmming system using Hi-Pro and Noah, but have hit several roadblocks
>when it comes to getting straight answers from hearing aid companies...
>
>My thoughts (which may be erroneous) are as such:  With Hi-Pro and Noah, plus
>a PC-based Real Ear system in a multi-tasking setting (ie Windows 95 or NT),
>can one go between real ear program and programming program (Noah)?  I'm SURE
>there are bugs out there, which may cause the system to lock-up, but are
>the Noah software developer working on cleaning up these bugs?
>
>I guess my feelings stem from a recent conference which I attended.  The
>manufacturer was promoting their new programmable aid to be used with a
>PC-driven real ear machine (not a stand alone PC).  I got "stiff-armed"
>when I asked about fitting and adjusting another line of programmables
>which we dispense.  I got pretty frustrated and said "forget it".
>
>Is there anyone out there who uses a stand alone PC, in a multi-tasking
>environment, that incorporates real ear and programming software in a
>fairly successful fashion.  Please send your suggestions....

>Jeff

Hi Jeff - the questions you raise would best be answered by your
contacting the HIMSA page http://www.himsa.dk  or by other readers who
have more knowledge of your specific needs than I
I wasn't aware of the HIMSA page at the time I mailed my message and
will certainly be contacting them. However I have received a couple of
replies in Email from users who have been in communication with HIMSA,
they agree with my findings re errors but were able to tell me that
there is a LOT happening by way of major changes and improvements to
the Noah system.
I'd also like to make it clear that we do believe the Noah system will
be everything we want it to be as it evolves and that the problems
will eventually diminish to an acceptable level.
Most of the problems we have experienced appear to be arising from the
manufacturers modules more than Noah itself and I have learned today
of some "work arounds" that could reduce the errors (isn't the net a
great source of info?)
Our frustrations are compounded by a couple of issues:
All our clients are children and the 4 year old on the floor who the
Audiologists have finally coaxed into cooperation won't wait while a
"fix" is found for even a minor glitch in the system.
Our Audiologists are of their own admission not computer buffs and
have neither the time or knowledge to sort out more than a "hands on"
problem.
We purchased Noah/Hipro shortly after it's release, it then cost a
hell of a lot of money and for that we expected a much more "finished"
product than we got, I suppose you could say we resent being beta
testers for the fee we paid however the HA Company mark-ups probably
compounded this situation. as I understand the price here has dropped
to a much more realistic level.
We've decided to use Noah with the more robust modules and leave the
more troublesome modules until updated software is available from the
manufacturers.
I think it's also fair to say that not all manufacturers are in a
position (by virtue of their current models) to make the best use of
the new technology at this point in time and don't fall over backwards
to promote or assist with enquiries (I'm trying hard to be diplomatic
here Jeff :-))
As I indicated in my earlier posting I find the concept of the Noah
environment one of the most exciting and complete uses of computer
technology I've seen and I do believe that in time it will evolve into
the package we all hope for.
All the best
Tony Dwyer