aud entitlement

Michael Gorga GORGA at BoysTown.ORG
Fri Nov 8 10:29:24 EST 1996

A recent posting by Dybala raised concerns about the legality of
calling one's self "doctor" following credential review and the
payment of a fee.  In response, Ridenhour questioned whether
Dybala had the credentials (I take this to mean a law degree from
a university) to comment on the legality of
calling one's self "doctor" through an entitlement process.
Ridenhour perhaps raises a good point.  Although I do not believe
that Dybala was, in any way, trying to mis-represent himself to
his colleagues as a lawyer, there are people who are
qualified by their education to comment on legal matters.  That
being the case, how can we question someone's legal
qualifications and still find it acceptable for someone to
represent themselves as a "doctor" to the public, third parties,
or other health care professionals without having earned that
right?   Ignoring the legality of such things (about which I
am no authority), there are moral and ethical reasons
why some of us question the entitlement approach.

Michael Gorga