AFA's AuD

Jennifer Black at HEAR.NET
Fri Nov 8 17:33:39 EST 1996

The AuD is a controversial issue, and with good reason.  I think the
idea behind the AuD is great-- that audiologists are lacking in the
training needed to know everything they need to know in this growing
field.  However, the AuD has taken so long to get off the ground; and
since people can't agree on an appropriate way to go about implementing
it; I pose this question:  why not fix what's broken?  Maybe if the
focus was on improving the undergraduate education for audiologists
(i.e. an undergraduate degree in audiology/hearing science instead of
"com dis" or something to that effect), the master's level programs
could cover more ground.  And that way, students would be better
prepared for MA/MS programs, and get more out of it.  Another
improvement?  How about a mandatory number of clinical practicum hours
as an undergraduate in basic diagnostics, with a higher total number of
required hours?  Not only would this address the concern that
audiologists need to be better prepared to practice, but these changes
can be implemented in a structure that basically already exists (the
university).  People are really resistant to big change (like the AuD),
but not as resistant to small change (like working with what you already
have).

And if the AuD becomes the required credential to practice audiology, I
will get it.  But it will be an EARNED AuD. This is much safer for the
profession in general.

S.Duncan