Spamming in the Newsgroup

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Thu Nov 14 00:06:26 EST 1996

MrHiggins at worldnet.att.net (Gary Gams) writes:

>deserve...We must not give up our rights to a free and open system
>because of these posts...It's easy to skip them...We all receive junk
>mail and I'm sure have no trouble trashing it...But most importantly one
>of us may already have won $1,000,000,000.00...GG

I agree with the basic idea that we live in a free society in that people
can express their views at any time, but I do not feel that this newsgroup
should be open for such nonsense postings.  This is suppose to be a newsgroup
for exchange of PROFESSIONAL topics in the field of audiology, not some BBS
for "Get Rich" advertising.  Because internet access and posting ability is
relatively free, this has allowed these people to spam all over the place in
an effort to make a buck.  IMHO this is wrong.  The newsgroup
bionet.audiology is not a place for this stuff.

BTW, I'm the first person to stand up for free speech, so don't come back
at me with some censorship statement.  Just as manufacturers cannot
directly advertise in bionet.audiology, these spams of "Send Me $5" do
not belong here.

Jeff
* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* audioman at hctc.net                     *