AFA's Au.D.

ceg at internetmci.com ceg at internetmci.com
Fri Nov 15 01:34:43 EST 1996

"mikey" <gandalf at infi.net> wrote:
>Guess you don't have Dr. Golf or Rug Doctor in your benighted state.
>
>Your loss.
>--
>
>mikey (%^)
>
>audmcl at aol.com wrote in article
><19961109202700.PAA21000 at ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>> Don't need a law degree in NJ to know that you cannot use the title
>> "doctor" in NJ unless it is earned from an institution accredited to
>> confer a doctorate.  The wording on this is so simple that even a Ph.D.
>> might understand it.

It's interesting to read the materials sent with the Application for
Au.D. Credentialing regarding the history of Entitlement.

"In the late 18th and 19th centuries various medical schools changed
their degree from a Bachelor of Medicine (M.B.) to Doctor of Medicine
(M.D.).  Harvard University even granted complimentary M.D.'s to previous
M.B. and as recently as 1970, the State of California allowed Doctors of
Osteopathy (D.O.'s) to exchange their degree for a M.D. degree.

Granding new titles has been utilized by a number of professions as a
viable means and for a specific purpose, i.e. primarily to transform or
transition thier professions to a doctoring profession.  Each intitlement
was not without controversy and usually was approached in a different
form for each profession that was consistent with the needs and
particular circumstances of the majority of the profession"

We learn of similar transistions for the Doctor of Optometry degree,
Podiatry, Juris Doctor etc.  In 1987, the State of Arkansas Pharmacy
Licensure Bord enactied legislation allowing all licensed pharmacists to
use the designator P.D. and the title doctor of pharmacy even if they
have not earned the doxtor of pharmacy degree.  There was no opposition
in the state legislature to this action.  In 1991, the nation's three
largest pharmacy practitioner associations, representing well over
200,000 pharmacy practitioners, released a consensus position statement
supporting the "new" doctor of pharmacy degree and encouraging the
nation's colleges of pharmacy to develop a degree transfer process for
B.S. degreed harmacists.  They further stated that, "for current B.S.
degree pharmacists whose calleges do not provide degree transfer,
pharmacy's professional associations will develop an institute for the
purpose of granting a Certificate of PHarm D. Equivalence."

THE PRECEDENT HAS BEEN SET, THE TIME IS RIGHT!!!

It seems to me that it is high time for the profesional audiologists to
wake up to the needs of our times.  We have the potential of becoming an
autonomous profession.  Why would anyone not want that for the profession
that we have dedicated our lives to?