loud music

Noral D. Stewart noral at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 16 08:34:13 EST 1996

aerobiguy at aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience, or can cite articles, on maximum sound
> levels in aerobics classes, or hearing loss from same?
>
> I've got the OSHA guidleines, which say A weighting, slow response should
> not exceed 105 dB for 1 hour, but this seems very high. I've got a sound
> level meter and I'm about to conduct a survey to find the most enjoyable
> sound levels in aerobics classes. Most of these participants say they're
> more motivated with louder music.
>
> There's an interesting thread (loud music) on misc.fitness.aerobic.
>
> SteveThe guideline of 105 dB for one hour assumes the rest of the day is
quiet.  It also is based on the assumption that the exposure occurs
several days a week for several years.  One such exposure a week is not
likely to cause permanent loss.  However, daily participants and
instructors could be at risk.  Instructors could especially be at
risk if exposed to high levels several hours a day and several days a
week.  Their employers might be subject to citation by OSHA unless they
are exempted in some way or are in a proper hearing conservation program
with controlled exposure.  For reference, the level at the mixboard of
an outdoor rock-and-roll concert is typically around 105 dB, often
higher.  Levels are typically higher closer to the stage.  From my
experience, levels in aerobics rooms are not usually this high.
However, they are high enough to cause problems for any neighbors in the
same building.  Normal building construction cannot adequately block the
levels found in aerobics rooms.  Thus, such facilities should not be
located in the same building with other businesses unless there is an
adquate buffer space.