Stethoscopes

Jim Bousquet or Cyn Vavasour jimb at sentex.net
Tue Nov 19 00:37:39 EST 1996

I'm not an audiologist, but I work for a hearing instrument
manufacturer, so I hope you won't mind my using this forum to pose a
question. :-)

My partner is a respiratory therapist at a medium-sized general
hospital.  This year she has a new student in her department with
otosclerosis.  I don't have the details of the extent of her hearing
loss, but she is using canal-sized hearing instruments (not CICs).  As
you are likely aware, RTs use stethoscopes quite extensively in the
course of their work, and this young woman is having a tough time
finding a device that will help her.

She has tried one model of stethoscope with an amplifier built in to the
tubing, but hated it.  (I haven't spoken to her myself, so I can't say
exactly why she didn't like it.)  She's currently experimenting with
different earpieces without much success.

My question is, has anyone come across any other assistive devices that
she might try out?  If anyone thinks they can point us in the right
direction for more information, please do either via this newsgroup or
e-mail.

Thanks very much!
Jim Bousquet