Audiologists - Is deafness and perfect speech possible? (Evelyn Glennie on 60 mins.)

Craig Shrimpton craigs at os.com
Fri Nov 22 11:01:32 EST 1996

Folks,

This is a repost of an article I submitted to rec.music.makers.percussion.
I'm interested if any audiologists would be skeptical of her claim of
deafness.

Thanks,

Craig

Folks,

I saw Evelyn Glennie on 60 Mins. the other day and I was struck by her
command of language.  In fact it seems too good for a deaf person.  How can
someone who has been totally deaf since age 6 speak perfect English (with a
Scottish accent no less), and can tell the difference between an American
accent and an English/Scottish accent without ever actually hearing one.
Besides that, she has perfect intonation and pitch in her voice and can
read lips without actually looking at the speaker.

My understanding and experience with deaf persons is that they eventually
lose the ability to speak properly and lip reading is very difficult,
especially if one does not use ASL.  I kept thinking fraud throughout the
entire segment.

-Craig