phase-locking in cochlea

Bill Simpson wsimpson at uwinnipeg.ca
Thu Nov 28 17:11:04 EST 1996

Several fairly old papers (e.g. Evans, 1975; Rose et al 1968) show that
cochlear nerve fibres fire in a phase-locked way.  They fire on the peaks.
I was wondering if there are recent papers discussing how this is used for
the coding of frequency in the brain.

A simple-minded way is to say the brain just uses the minimum delay
between spikes as the period (and freq=1/period).  Since the fibres don't
fire on every peak, will get a variety of delays between spikes, but all
delays will be multiples of the smallest delay (e.g. 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
ms).  So another approach is to assume you have series {a*1, a*2, a*3,...}
where a is period (in practice a will vary a bit).  Other more
sophisticated ideas are possible.

If this is not a good place for this question, please tell me where to go
(!).

Thanks very much for any help.

Bill Simpson