AFA's Au.D.

spbraj at aol.com spbraj at aol.com
Thu Nov 28 00:03:32 EST 1996

It is a good discussion. The question of autonomy is ever present among
audiologists. Will the AuD provide autonomy? Not until a few things are
cleared up.

Contrary to the leaders of the AFA and AAA, it is not ASHA which opposes
the autonomy of audiologists. I've never met a speech pathologist who
opposes
me in the workforce. They are no threat to my autonomy, and the bickering
and
mud slinging of the AAA and AFA towards ASHA does not help matters.

IN regards to ENT's I would agree that in certain environments they
control audiologists' salaries and indeed they have a lot of power in
terms of referring
patients and authorizing special audiological tests. They also are opposed
autonomous clinical practices such as cerumen management by audiologists.
So they represent a threat to the autonomy of audiologists.

But the biggest threat to the profession of audiology comes from the
uneducated,
unethical hearing aid dealers. These people have no education but pretend
to be
proficient in audiological practice. Indeed, their misdeeds in regards to
the public
are what is responsible for the harsh FDA regulations concerning hearing
aids.
The profession of "hearing aid dealer" should be OUTLAWED. Unless and
until
this occurs, audiologists will never be autonomous, and the AuD will fail
to achieve
its mission.