Audiologists - Is deafness and perfect speech possible?

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Thu Nov 28 23:46:40 EST 1996

Reposted from personal email, with permission

BradIngrao at aol.com writes:

>I would love to hear from any one else who has seen such children in their
>own practices, or from parents who feels like I do.

I see this in practice but more in my son's school.  He's temporarily in a
public school program (we'e just adopted him and are waiting a space in the
Deaf School where he'll be a day student).  There are two kids with implants
who sign almost exclusively.  Both parents report getting the implant about 4
hours away and being handed a business card of a speech therapist.

I recently had a near-argument with a Mayo Clinic neurotologist about why we
are not implanting our son.  The medical community is sadly too far removed
from the daily issues of implantation.

I think the best thing we as audiologists can do is to prepare a pamphlet or
videotape (or web site) frankly discussing the potential negatives of
implantation.  I'm not referring to the Deaf Community side of things, but
questions like:

- Your insurance paid for the surgery, how about the speech therapy?
- What about cords, BTE mics, etc...
-What about those plastic tube slides (Chuck E Cheese) and static erasing
maps?

I'm saying never implant kids, but there are MANY issues that are never
discussed.

End of Stump Speech

Brad Ingrao
Jax FL