T perception increase with HL increase

Steve C steve927 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 2 23:39:01 EST 1996

I have an acoustics question:

I am currently sitting in my basement at the keyboard. There is only the
sound of the computer fan and hard drive to drown out the sound of my
tinnitus.

When I place my musicians earplugs in [ER-15] the tinnitus is loud and
clear. If I walk into the bathroom and cloes the door [absence of any
real noise] it sound like it is screaming at a level that ccould drive
one to either drink, or to just be driven plain nuts.

So, asuming the real world rating of the plugs to be at 10-12 dB flat
attenuation, the question is this:

If I were to lose more hearing [I have mild hearing loss with a
classical
notch at 4,000 htz where the threshold is 40 dB] and my entire audiogram
had it's threshold lifted by 10 dB, would the sound with the earplugs in
now become the norm with the earplugs out?

If this is the case, then I can see why the ATA says to preserve your
hearing at all costs.

ps. my T is at 79 dB LE and 54 dB RE, @ 13,000 htz.