hyperacusis

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at hctc.net
Sat Oct 5 20:49:22 EST 1996

In article <52v3qu$ca5 at news.net-connect.net>, henptra at net-connect.net
says...

>email-->erc at cinenet.net<--|:-) (Eric Smith) wrote:
>
>>I have some questions about hyperacusis:
>
>>1. Do some people have hyperacusis without hearing aids?

>To #1: The term hyperacusis relates to a phenomenon that occurs in
>people with normal hearing. So the answer is "yes, someone can have
>hyperacusis without hearing aids". To better explain, hyperacusis is a
>
>singinficantly reduced tolerance to mildly or moderately loud sounds
>in the presence of normal hearing, as measured by audiometry.

Well I would say that some people with hearing loss display some forms
of hyperacusis.  If someone has an UCL for speech at 80 dB HL, but an
SRT at 50 dB HL, the unusually low UCL could be called some form of
hyperacusis.  I'm thinking back to the old ABLB, where there was the
category of hyper-recruitment.  Patients showing hyper-recruitent
could surely display some form of hyperacusis.

>       To  be sure, people with hearing loss resulting from damage to
>"hair cells" in their inner ears and to other areas in the inner ear
>and along the nerve pathway from the ear to the hearing portions of
>the brain also experience tolerance problems, however, here the proper
>term is "recruitment".

What about hyper-recruitment (see above comment)?  Can one say that a
patient showing hyper-recruitment shows some signs of hyperacusis?