defining hyperacusis

mikey gandalf at
Sat Oct 19 21:29:10 EST 1996

Lee VanMiddlesworth <lvm1 at> wrote in article
<3268D617.39C3 at>...
> SeaCapn at wrote:

>Just remember that the
> audiogram is a poor and relatively gross measure of how we "hear"!
> Good Luck
> Lee
> Good luck
Actually, Lee, an audiogram is not any sort of measure of how we hear. If
you think about it, it is a measure of behavior, not hearing. There are so
many things that can affect a person's behavior, that we, as audiologists,
use many other tools to try to find out the level of one's hearing, such as
ABR, ECG, etc. which do not rely on the behavioral acquiescence of the
patient. The fact that an audiogram may not be accurate depends on how you
look at it. To judge the accuracy of an audiogram under standards of
scientific measurement is erroneous. Judge the audiogram under the
standards of psychology and you will find that your predictive value, as
well as your understanding of the hearing problems of your patient will be

You also never bought me that lunch you promised me at the IHS convention
in San Francisco in '88! (I think that was the year).

Michael Ridenhour