Infant screening protocols

David & Sissy Coffin Coffin at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 2 22:08:04 EST 1996

I would be interested in hearing how others are following up new-born
hearing screenings that are done in hospital.  For well-baby screenings, if
the child fails the screening in hospital, who does the follow-up?  If the
child passes the follow-up, is he/she released or is future testing
attempted?  When?  Until what age?

For high risk babies, if the child fails in hospital, who does the follow-up
testing, and when?  If the child passes either the initial screening or a
follow-up eval, are they released or followed?  If followed, until what age?

How is the issue of no-show follow-up appointments dealt with?

I know each state deals with this differently.  When I was in central
Louisiana we were attempting to follow high risk infants who failed in
hospital through age 2 (with an exceptionally high no show rate.)  Here in
Alabama, it doesn't seem that extensive, and many (most?) children are
released after one pass (either in hospital or upon follow-up.)

I may be needing to set up a protocol for follow-up to our babies who fail
the screen in hospital and would like to hear how others are doing it.

Thanks,
David

David J. Coffin, M.A., CCC-A, FAAA
Director of Audiology