Starkey Hearing Aids

MrHiggins at aol.com MrHiggins at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 21:47:38 EST 1996

You know it seems important you be made aware of the many different brands of
instruments on the market...I would guess that your Dispenser works primarily
with Starkey and there fore uses them primarily in her practice...The more
one knows about an instrument the better able to fine tune it and know it’s
idiosyncrasies...Starkey carries a good line of instruments and offers
excellent repair service...While on the subject of repair 1 year is not
enough in my opinion 2 if not 3 years should be arranged...The aid will
fail/break or have some problem you can be assured...It's exposed to
moisture/dirt/wax/flaking skin or dandruff and is kept at a fairly warm
(98.6) temperature most of the day...Not many electronic devices can survive
all that....So breakdowns do occur...I'm not sure about the actual statistics
but they must be around1 breakdown every 12-18 months...I would ask also what
the cost of a repair will be...As to style...Well that’s as personal to each
individual as clothing...The limitations may be due to her type of loss but a
 competent Dispenser will help with that...I can say that the CIC's have a
higher rate of breakdown and warn patients accordingly...Many don't care as
the idea of an aid that can't be seen is very appealing from a vanity
perspective...First time user's tend to be as concerned with the looks as
much as the hearing improvement...That will change with her second pair which
will probably occur 3-5 years from now...As an experienced wearer she will be
 more discriminating in her hearing needs…
Finally look at other brands which might also offer some excellent solutions
to her nearing impairment…AT&T Resound…Oticon…Phonak…3M (now Sonar Hearing
Health owned by Resound) Widex to name some of the top companies in the
industry…There are also many small companies as well as private label
products out there filling in the gaps…I hope I’ve not made it more confusing
for you but the more you know the wiser you will be in your selection…The 30
day agreement should be standard in any transaction which will allow your
wife to change her mind before she’s completely committed to any style or
brand…GG