External ear discharge and hearing aids

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Sep 16 00:43:27 EST 1996

{Forwarded from ASHA Listserve}

Thought this was pretty interesting for b.a discussion...

Jeff

>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:37:11 -0500
>From: henptra at dns1.net-connect.net
>To: asha-aud-forum at postman.com
>Subject: External ear discharge and hearing aids
>
>I would appreciate any help on this case:
>
>A 61-year old male with bilaterally symmetrical sensorineural hearing loss,
normal at 250 and 500 Hz., drops to
>45dB at 1k and is in the 60-70dB range through 8000 Hz. Fit with K-amp
canals with excellent auditory results
>(he reported improved communication in all settings).
>
>The problem is that after he has worn the hearing aids for approximately 3
hours, he stops hearing (the aids
>are still functioning). He develops a build up of purrelent fluid in the
external canals that effectively
>blocks the canal area medial to the tip of the hearing aid. I have tried
using hypoallergenic shell materials
>with the same results. I have enlarged the vent of the instruments as much
as possible without causing feedback
>and he still develops the discharge. His ENT says that he does not have any
external canal infection that he
>can see nor does he see evidence of an allergic reaction. I cannot fit with
an open-ear style mold because
>feedback occurs before required volume setting.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Henry P. Trahan, M.C.D., CCC-A, FAAA
>ACI Hearing Center
>Lafayette, LA

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *