Question about Philips Aids

Allan Port aport at USER1.CHANNEL1.COM
Tue Sep 17 12:34:32 EST 1996

I am a hearing aid user who has worn hearing aids since age 6.  My loss is
fairly significant (70 db in the upper frequencies of the voice range).

In the past, I have been frustrated by my inability to hear in noisy situations:

in a moving car
in a crowded room
on a busy street
in a room with a lot of things going on

In quiet settings, I would get good amplification and sound quality from
almost any hearing aid that I tried.  I expected the industry to benefit
from the tremendous advances going on in signal processing and
micro-electronics, but it seemed that most of the development effort was
going into making smaller and smaller hearing aids.  Call this the vanity
factor.

My most recent set of aids is a welcome change.  Philips 56 aids with a
separate hand held IR remote control.  I get a choice of programs plus
telephone control and volume control on the remote.  With these aids, I am
able to hear in all but the noisiest conditions.  I have discussed this with
other hearing aid users and do not feel I could exist without a volume
control and program choice... I understand the newer ITE and smaller aids
often offer the user no controls at all.

My question is:  Is this a digital aid or an analog device with digital
controls?  What degree of sophistication is built in?  Could I do even
better with one of the advanced models being discussed in the
bionet.audiology newsgroup?

Can anyone suggest equivalents in another brand?  My only complaint about
the Philips is that the IR controls react to other transient (noisy)
light... for example, neon signs in a store, police emergency lights, and
even noisy fluorescent lights.  The hearing aid settings don't change but
they respond, as if to say, "I don't understand that command".  It would be
nice to be able to turn off the IR receiver in such surroundings.

Thanks in advance.... Allan