TMJ & Tinnitus

Susan Moore smoore at otolaryngology-po.oto.uiowa.edu
Mon Sep 23 10:17:26 EST 1996

RE: tinnitus onset following head/neck surgury--

what about damage to the OHCs caused by extensive skull vibrations during the
drilling that frequently accompanies such operations?  I have great hearing, but I
also have tinnitus at 6 kHz that began after my wisdom teeth removal and was made
worse by attending a concert one night w/o hearing protection (dou!).  I think that
tinnitus surely could be created as a by product of damage to the cochlea from the
vibrations of the drilling anywhere in the skull...the closer to the cochlea the
more possibility of damage.  I have not done a lit search myself on this idea.  Has
anyone else?  It might be interesting to measure otoacoustic emissions before and
after skull surgury to see if there are any changes (i.e. damage) that could also
explain an onset of tinnitus after the surgury.

Susan Moore
smoore at otolaryngology-po.oto.uiowa.edu