TMJ & Tinnitus

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Sep 24 00:20:19 EST 1996

Susan Moore <smoore at otolaryngology-po.oto.uiowa.edu> writes:

>RE: tinnitus onset following head/neck surgury--
>
>what about damage to the OHCs caused by extensive skull vibrations
>during the drilling that frequently accompanies such operations?

>I think that tinnitus surely could be created as a by product of damage
>to the cochlea from the vibrations of the drilling anywhere in the skull...
>the closer to the cochlea the more possibility of damage.  I have not
>done a lit search myself on this idea.  Has anyone else?  It might be
>interesting to measure otoacoustic emissions before and after skull
>surgury to see if there are any changes (i.e. damage) that could also
>explain an onset of tinnitus after the surgury.

I had this idea just prior to having oral surgery back in 1993.  I thought of
measuring audiometric thresholds before and after surgery, looking for
a possible TTS.

When I got out of surgery, I was in NO condition to even talk to anyone,
less have someone do a hearing test on me.

Jeff

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *