TMJ & Tinnitus

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Thu Sep 26 11:32:30 EST 1996

On 26 Sep 1996, dybala wrote:
> See ron blue message below first:
>>>CUT>>>
> This noise induced hearing loss could have tinnitus that "is really due to
> correlational opponent-processing feedback from the brain trying to
> control the hearing system which has been damaged."
>
> What my understanding of what you are trying to explain is that
> _some_ forms of tinnitus are due to an abnormal "gain"
no not gain.  See the August 28 issue of Nature on effects of
viberation in a grandular field producing OSCILLONS.  You will notice
that oscillons consist of two phase.  An activating phase and an opponent
phase.  In neuro processing the opponent-process causes the occurrance of
the other.

for example:  paralyze 1/2 of the tongue and sugar, sour, and bitter will
double in reported taste.  This is equal to tinnitus.
> in the auditory
> system.  A person has a hearing loss and the neurons are not getting
> as much stimulation so the auditory system turns up its "internal gain"
I agree that internal gain is turned up for the unstimulated system.  That
is why the opponent wavelet produces tinnitus.  Some time ago an
audiologist reported that he hear ringing in his ear when he accidently
press a pair of open sissors against his arm.  The wavelet stimulation
caused a harmonic loop of opponent-process resulting in tinnitus.
He had an audiologist check this out and his friend HEARD the sound
coming out of his friends ear.  The ear can also be a speaker because
of correlational opponent-processing.
> which is then perceived as tinnitus.  This effect has been thought to
> usually occur along the audiometric edge of a loss where the imbalance of
> stimualtion among adjacent auditory tracts are greatest.  This is why, on
> average, person's pitch perception of the tinnitus is
> strongly correlated with frequencies along the audiometric edge.
agreed
> This is why the if you look at one of the most recent methods of
> treating tinnitus, it has been developed using _low_ levels of maskers and
> counseling.   The counseling is used to basically calm the person down so
> that thay can deal with the tinnitus and the low level white noise maskers
white noise acts as a reference wavelet.  The hearning system as all
systems is depend on reference or CARRIER frequencies to interpret events.
A entrainment wave system should do the same thing.
Ron Blue