Depression and auditory symptoms

jean dallaire jdallair at synapse.net
Thu Sep 26 22:51:28 EST 1996

Over the last 12 years of practice I have encountered numerous clients
with primary clinical complaints of subjective hearing loss and
significant difficulties listening to significant others or groups.
Considerinng their normal hearing thresholds after audiology testing, I
have extended my case history as to include questions on the
psychological health and found most of them to be under medication for,
or acknowledging, a depressive mood.  Interestingly, several of these
patients were females and between the age of 20 to 35 years old.
Attempt to link it with early auditory deprivation ( repetitive Otitis
Media during childhood ) and Auditory Obscure Syndrome may be of interest
to all of us.

PLease send me your opinion or clinical observations if interested.