Hearing aids & stethescopes

Lyndon Thomas Lyndon at seren.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 28 06:03:24 EST 1996

 "c. zelnick"  writes

>Hello, I'm a physician who is just being fit with BTE Resounds for hi frequency
>hearing loss.  I am having a devil of a time getting them to work with my
>stethescope- I can't get the stethescope tips to stay or seal into the vents
>of the earmolds.  Needless to say, it is a major pain to have to take out the
>aid to do stethoscopy, then put them back in again- so much so, it is making
>me rethink these things!
>Does anyone have any advice for me about how to use the stethescope with a
>behind the ear aid?  Thanks in advance.
>C. Zelnick in Iowa/.
I have a suggestion that would probably work for me, though I don't know
if you would find it helpful.

I would connect the stethoscope earpiece to a microphone, using heat-
shrinkable tubing/adhesives (unless an electronic stethoscope is already
available!), then connect the microphone into a box which is capable of
driving a neck loop (an induction loop worn around the neck).  This
would transmit the sound directly to the hearing aid via the pick up
coil in the BTE aid.  This would have the added benefit of switching out
the BTE microphone (if that would help), while using the stethoscope.

Good luck.
--
Lyndon Thomas