Cochlea research

Gert Tighy tighyg at cssa.org.za
Sat Sep 21 23:11:21 EST 1996

Malcolm wrote:

> Are you aware that there is a alternative to the Cochlea Implant
>
> http//www.mal.co.za/james.htm

As a South African parent who recently spent ZAR100,000 (incl tax) on a
cochlear implant for my 10 year old son I will be very interested to hear
of alternatives.  We are very satisfied with the progress Brendan has
made.  It is not everything, but it is better than a 75dB loss.  Few
things can beat a child's saying "What is that" when he heard a twig
being stepped on for the first time.  We are gratefull.

Considerable research & effort in the treatment of hearing-disabled
children is performed at the Carel du Toit centre at Tygerberg Hospital,
Cape Town ZA.  They follow an Auditory-Verbal approach, rather than that
of sign.  No distinction is made with regards to race, colour or creed.
To date about 85 people have been implanted with no difficulties, as far
as I know.

I am aware that there is some resistance to this "invasive" procedure,
particularly from the sign-based deaf community.

I'll be pleased to supply information on them or our experience.

Gert Tighy 27 21 8722652
Paarl
South Africa.