Question for all Auidiologist?

John Richards JLFB63A at prodigy.com
Sat Apr 12 09:06:25 EST 1997

Why do Auidiologist give word lists such as ice cream, etc... that the
children know instead of word recognition lists of words that they so not
know?  Why don't Auidiologist when evaluating the child's hearing not
give the child sentences to hear and respond too?  When individuals talk
they usually talk in sentences not in one word.  Our teachers teach in
sentences not with one word.  As a parent it does not make sense that
when getting the speech perception % scores that words are given that the
child recognizes.  Because our child knows the words he only needs to
hear part and guess and get it right.  Every Audiologist he has gone to
gives the same list of words.  To me, getting the true picture of what
the child hears their needs to be two sets of scores plus their always
needs to be in quiet and in noise.  The only place I know that our son is
placed in a quiet room is when he has his hearing tested in the sound
booth.  Most rooms where he is will have the HVAC system on, lights on,
ect... I hope there is some input to this issue from Audiologists.