Question for all audiologists?

John Richards JLFB63A at prodigy.com
Sun Apr 13 09:19:34 EST 1997

Audiologist only test a child using sentences to find out if there is a
central auditory processing problem?  Parents do not know to ask so I
feel that the Audiologist should just do it, especially if the child
failed the school hearing test and no hearing loss was found.  When a
child who has a mild hearing loss and wears hearing aids, there is no
doubt that the HVAC in the classroom and the other noise will effect
her/him.  The hearing aids amplify the noise before the voice.  When the
child is tested by the audiologist in the sound field booth and the
child's SRT % scores are 95%, the audiologist usually says that the child
hears fine.  That is true in the sound field but how true is it in the
classroom?  Is there a test that an aduiologist can do either in the
office or classroom that will show what the child is hearing?  I feel
that it should not be one words but the sentence response. what do you
think