Question for all audiologists?

gandalf at infi.net gandalf at infi.net
Sat Apr 12 17:33:21 EST 1997

In article <5io4t1$2rui at newssvr02-int.news.prodigy.com> JLFB63A at prodigy.com (John Richards) writes:
>From: JLFB63A at prodigy.com (John Richards)
>Subject: Question for all Auidiologist?
>Date: 12 Apr 1997 14:06:25 GMT

>Why do Auidiologist give word lists such as ice cream, etc... that the
>children know instead of word recognition lists of words that they so not
>know?

The idea is to find the lowest level at which identifiable two syllable
(spondaic) words can be correctly reproduced. If words that are not
recognizable are used, such as nonsense words, an element is added which does
not increase the accuracy of the test, but actually decreases its accuracy.

  Why don't Auidiologist when evaluating the child's hearing not >give the
child sentences to hear and respond too?  When individuals talk >they usually
talk in sentences not in one word.  Our teachers teach in >sentences not with
one word.

Generally it is not necessary with an intact auditory system to produce the
whole sentence. In cases of suspected central auditory involvement, such as a
problem in the brain, sentences are used. There are some who use a carrier
phrase with each discrimination word, such as "Say the word base, etc." This
does not necessarily add to the accuracy of the test, unless many words are
missed, then the audiologist should repeat the test with the carrier phrase. A
child who can score better than 88% without the sentence, does not likely have
a major central problem. I agree, however with your premise, that the real
world uses sentences, and that there is validity in a sentence approach with
kids. Its just not always strictly necessary.

 As a parent it does not make sense
that >when getting the speech perception % scores that words are given that
the >child recognizes.  Because our child knows the words he only needs to
>hear part and guess and get it right.  Every Audiologist he has gone to
>gives the same list of words.

True, however, ther is little likelihood of guessing, as there are thousands
of word possibilities in each list. The audiologist would be unlikely to give
the same list more than once. We mark on the form which particular list we
used for each test, so as to reduce the likelihood of this happening.

To me, getting the true picture of what >the
child hears their needs to be two sets of scores plus their always >needs to
be in quiet and in noise.  The only place I know that our son is >placed in a
quiet room is when he has his hearing tested in the sound >booth.  Most rooms
where he is will have the HVAC system on, lights on, >ect... I hope there is
some input to this issue from Audiologists.

You raise a good point. Noise testing is very important in some cases. The
main reason we test in a sound proof booth is to find the level of hearing
which is unaffected by extraneous factors, such as noise. Some types of noise
can actually interfere with the test, when there is no pathology present in
the patient. In order to be certain of the maximum hearing status, without
unfair biases from other factors, booths are used. I see many kids who fail
school screenings, but have normal hearing, because they were distracted by
other children, or lights, etc. A good audiologist will also test for hearing
in noise when that is indicated or requested.

Michael Ridenhour