Benign Vertigo --- Inner ear infection info!!

Kathryn Bassett kathrynb at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 14 16:57:58 EST 1997

On 4/14/97 5:43AM, in message <33522682.1A83 at umich.edu>, Tom Boismier
<boismier at umich.edu> wrote:
> Christian Cloutier wrote:
> > It seems like i am suffering from an inner ear infection
> > (Labyrinthitis?) which caused me to have severe vertigo (and nausea) and
> > it's driving me nuts!
> > Can anyone tell me more about that affliction? When will it dissapear?
>
> First, relax, it's a very common problem (some 30% of the US population
> have dizziness before age 65), and in most cases it goes away by itself
> with or without medical intervention.

snipped balance as it's not needed for my point

Christian said "it seems". If that is a self diagnosis, go get checked. Even if
the doctor says infection - if the infection doesn't clear in a reasonable
time, then start paying attention to your hearing, and any noises in your ear
(tinnitus). About a year ago, I had some vertigo (no nausea though) that the
ear doctor said was an infection (even though I didn't feel any "infection"
symptoms". Though I didn't know it at the time, that was probably the first of
several subtle clues that I missed until I realized my hearing in one ear
wasn't up to par and last week was diagnosed with an accoustic neuroma.

PS. if anyone wants to know more about accoustic neuroma, the best web page
I've found is
http://www.neurosurgery.washington.edu/clinical/acouneur/accouneur.html
and you should also check the Accoustic Neuroma Association at
http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/ana/   from where you can get info on a
mailing list.

--
       Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
              kathrynb at ix.netcom.com
        "genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
ac948 at lafn.org is permanent alternate address if 1st gets
closed for some reason. No need for duplicate messages.