Question For Any Audiologist

The Desert Rats dorneyjk at HUNTEL.COM
Tue Apr 15 23:23:02 EST 1997

To anyone who can help,

My son is diagnosed with a profound hearing loss in excess of 125db.  He
has been repeatedly tested and is consistently testing with a fluctuation
of approximately 20db.  Somedays he hears better and other days worse.  His
audiologist believes this 20db fluctuation is probably related to a
conductive loss (based on various testing results and a continually runny
nose).

Now for the unusual part.  My son has been evaluated by a number of ENTs
(both in our local community and out-of-town). Every one agrees that there
is NO fluid present in his ears, but his audiologist told me that a
condutive loss can be related to pressure within the ear (fluid is not the
only cause).  He used the illustration of when you are in an airplane just
before your ears "pop", your hearing is impaired but no fluid is present.

 My questions:
 (1)  Is pressure with no fluid in fact a potential cause of the small
fluctuation?
 (2)  If so, is there a treatment to relieve this pressure that would allow
us to maintain        the 20db improvement?

The benefit may seem minimal (only approx. 20db) but this small loss is
successfully keeping my son just below the speech range when aided.

Answers can be posted to this newsgroup or sent directly to me via e-mail
at dorneyjk at huntel.com.