Question for all Auidiologist?

RSiegel663 rsiegel663 at aol.com
Fri Apr 18 00:29:57 EST 1997

Why do I always have to tell my eye doctor what letters I see?  I read
words in sentences not isolated symbols!
Sorry, I am not trying to sound sarcastic, but the best way to evaluate
communication, a large and complex method used to exchange information, is
to try to break it into the smallest reasonable portions and compare  your
results to norms.

The list of words consist of a weighted scale of all of the most common
sounds in our language, this is why the lists are the same at different
offices.  If I gave you the word  -at    did I say hat or cat or sat or
bat or mat etc.   ...

you can't guess right all the time you must get enought information to
lead you to the right word.  Each list consists of 50 phonetically
balanced words there are many lists. each list can be re-listed by mixing
up the words.  How random must it be?

Why do you get your eyes tested in a room with only one stimulus??
to compare you to a norm.
Are there more complex problems?  Get the more complex central or
processing tests done if they are indicated.
Why can't you  simulate all of the situations in the environment?  Because
they are not real in simulation and therefore cannot give the true
function.

We can ony try to do the best we can with the current technology and
information available.
Any suggestions in making it better should be considered and evaluated,
but before you post it ask some of your local professionals to get a more
complete base to put your questions on.

R Siegel M.S. CCC-A , BC-HIS