A Burning Question

A. Soyk alsoyk at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 24 23:47:58 EST 1997

I am currently a Graduate student and obviously not practicing yet, but I
have heard through news and freinds something about this "candeling". The
event that sticks in my mind is of a few people who have had this
procedure go horribly worng.  Instead of removing wax, the hot wax of the
candle ran INTO their ear, causing immense pain and damage.  Seattle can
be a hot bed of unusual homeopathic remedies, and this was quite a fad
here for a while.  If I remember correctly, these people had to go to a
physician to have the wax removed and their ears repaired, if that
was even possible.  I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but
maybe it will help in informing your patients on the hazards of sticking a
burning object into their ear.

Sincerely,
A. Soyk
Audiology Grad. Student