Question on Microphones

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Tue Aug 5 00:11:51 EST 1997

A patient from our office asked me the other day about microphones used in
hearing aids.  As he has problems with detection of speech in noise, he
inquired about Audio Zoom from Phonak, which he will be trying.  He asked
about parabolic microphones, used for surveillance and such, and wanted to
know why the this technology could not be incorporated into a hearing aid.
I know this is a silly question, but could someone with technical
background in microphones explain how a parabolic microphone works and what
are the essential components.

Jeff