Noise and Concentration

f.woodcock at unison.co.uk f.woodcock at unison.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 10:06:29 EST 1997

Noise is relative to what you expect as background or ambient sound. In a
busy street you can still enjoy looking at shop window displays or
talking to a friend. At night when the occasion car passes, again
expected and therefore ignored, it is very hard to concentrate. If loud
music is playing next door or, as in my case the dairy opposite my home
opens at 1,17 a.m. when it is supposed to operate at less than 42dbA,
concentration or sleep can be impossible.

The environmental health officer can help where the noise is a statutory
nuisance or planning application restrictions on noise have been broken.