Are Audiologists Ethnocentric?

Sandra and Dan Hobson danhobson at netins.net
Sun Aug 10 22:16:39 EST 1997

As to CFY's needing to be taken wing that's all fine and good ...but when I
talk to  some and they are demanding 30K, plus benefits and vacation etc.
to start. Being self-employed I can't guarantee that... show me that you
can earn it by closing the sale, and doing what it takes in private
practice.  I have heard of others turning down a position in a small ENT
practice because they don't want to do any "grunt" work of learning to fill
in and doing what it takes for a small business to survive.

Growing up on a farm I learnt that if you see something needing to be done,
do it.  Pitch in and work as a team.  Which is something lacking in the
graduate work experience in audiology, it's not just testing and reports
and counseling of patients.  It's also learning how to get paid for one's
work and finding ways to make it happen.

Most doctors are not trained as Small Business Experts either, but if they
want to develop their own private practice...they do want it takes to learn
that and build a team working towards a common goal to provide a service
and get paid for it..."The American Dream" as you will....

Smile...
Sandra Hobson, 20 years as an audiologist with the last 5 in Private
Practice... struggling to meet every challenge along the way!