Are Audiologists Generous?

David Taylor dtaylor at ROHAN.SDSU.EDU
Thu Aug 14 15:16:33 EST 1997

I would like to comment on this issue from the perspective of a graduate
student. I am not in the field to get rich but it seems to me that the
skills I am learning should have significant, intrinsic value in the
marketplace.

Given the nature of some of the previous postings, I am wondering what kind
of reception to expect when I embark on my CFY next year.  What
preconceptions do audiologists have regarding clinical fellows? Greedy?
Idealistic? Somewhere in between? And, more importantly, are there mentors
out there?

My clinical experience thus far has been professional, educational, and
cordial, both at the university clinic and at a hospital placement.  My
desire is to find a CF post that incorporates more of the same plus a
decent income. I don't mind doing the grunt work mentioned by Sandra Hobson
but I do hope to make more than the $7 an hour mentioned by Marsha Johnson.

David Taylor
audiology graduate student
San Diego State University