What They Didn't Tell Me In Grad School (formerly " Are Audiologists Generous?" )

HearWHAC hearwhac at netins.net
Wed Aug 20 12:58:30 EST 1997

Paul D Dybala wrote:

> I can't believe what I am reading.

Paul, I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way. Sticks and stones may
harm me, but your words of anger will do no damage. You might want to go
back and reread what I wrote. It may not be something you "want" to
hear, but there is no doubt that this is being said by a good many more
people than me. (I believe somebody else started the discussion, not
me.)

The Swiss suffered from a paradigm. They invented the quartz crystal
watch. But they also had 55,000 watchmakers in Switzerland. As a result,
the Swiss could not get rid of a paradigm. They decided the new kind of
watch would NEVER replace their watches. So the Japanese (Seiko)
produced the first quartz crystal watches, not the Swiss. As a result,
there are fewer than 5,000 watchmakers left in Switzerland today - and
they lost their opportunity to make a better watch.

In my post I said I believe audiology also has some fatal paradigms! I
truly believe that if audiology continues in the path it is headed right
now, it will simply become another profession like nursing that works
"under" the doctor, not "equal" to the doctor.

The Swiss refused to "listen." I'm certain they even got very "angry"
about it. Let's hope audiology doesn't do the same. There's too much to
be lost!

Paul

PS This is a quote from one of the private e-mails to me regarding my
post:
"Unfortunately, the solutions you propose, while simple, have 1 thousand

roadblocks in front of them.  There are a lot of academics who aren't
about to let their programs close because there go their jobs...and
they're the ones "training" all the new audiologists."