What They Didn't Tell Me In Grad School Nonsense

HearWHAC hearwhac at netins.net
Wed Aug 20 12:20:33 EST 1997

Oregon7 wrote:

> Making an estimate of the number of hearing impaired people in the USA
>
> based on how many hearing aids are sold per thousand is false.

This was never intended. I was simply referring to the fact that there
are more hearing aids fit per thousand people in the US (8) than
anyplace else. When someone can come up with a better formula for
fitting hearing aids to the population than the way we do it in the US,
we should give it consideration.

I have spent considerable time in Europe studying their hearing aid
distribution programs. For instance, in France less than 3 hearing aids
per thousand people are dispensed each year. I heard one Frenchman
theorize that the reason for this was that in France every person must
have a "prescription," i.e.  recommendation to obtain a hearing aid from
a doctor, before they can get one. In a survey they did, they found that
90% of the doctors did not believe in hearing aids.

I apologize if there was any misunderstanding.

Paul ;-)