Auditory Processing Deficit

Paul D Dybala dybala at utdallas.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:55:00 EST 1997

There is a new program called Fast Forword that has been used in
kids with language deficits.  Simply, the theory behind it is that
these kids cannot process speech because it is to fast, they have temparl
processing problems.

The therapy is a CD ROM game that slows down speech and uses games to
that slowly then accelerates the stimuli to get the kids up to speech.
Initial research has shown that kids language scores have increased on
stndardized tests after using this therapy.

There is some thought that this therapy could be used in central
processing disorders.  The whole thing is really new and the person who
developed it (Paula Tallal, et al) is the same one who has produced the
evidence of it working in Lang Delayed kids.

The therapy is now being marketed by speech language pathologists
as the Fast Forword program.

Paula Tallal has an excellent home page
http://www.ld.ucsf.edu/
That can give you all the info you need to know.

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala
dybala at utdallas.edu