Bulemia & Hearing Loss

Zipjack zip at jack.com
Thu Aug 28 08:24:19 EST 1997

audiologists at juno.com (Birmingham Otology) wrote:

>Has a link ever been found between SNHL and Bulemia?  We had a patient
>that has a precipitous high frequency SNHL and also has Bulemia.  If
>anyone has any references or information, please e-mail me.

Hi David.
I have never seen anything on this in the literature, but I can tell
you that people with eating disorders often abuse diuretics, which
means that if someone has access to a family member's Lasix, they are
likely to use it, and unknowingly, destroy thier hearing.
Last year one of my patients , who confided that she was bulemic,
presented with bilateral conductive hearing loss, worse in one ear
than the other, severe nasal infections, and eustachian tube
dysfunction. Let us know what else you learn about this.
Thanks.

Kate