TE Vs DP OAE's

Paul.Secombe at CASRDH.HEALTH.nt.gov.au Paul.Secombe at CASRDH.HEALTH.nt.gov.au
Mon Dec 15 13:11:16 EST 1997

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: Paul Secombe at health_rdh
Date: 12/8/97 8:03AM
To: audiolog at net.bio.net at SMTP
Subject: TE Vs DP OAE's

     I haven't seen any responses to my query.  Can anyone shed some light
     on this problem?

     Paul Secombe
     Senior Audiologist
     Royal Darwin Hospital
     Northern Territory     Australia.

Author:  Paul Secombe at health_rdh
Date:    08/12/97 8:03

     Dear all

     I'm wondering if anybody out there can help.

     I saw a 29 year old male patient yesterday with a 12/12 history of
     bilateral tinnitus which is troubling him a fair bit.  He admits to
     some rifle shooting (RH), but there is nothing else of note in his
     history.

     PTA revealed a mild sensorineural notch at 4 kHz on the left, and
     hearing WNL on the right.  Speech was fine with no rollover.

     Type A bilaterally with reflexes present.  No decay.

     ABR negative for RCP.

     This is the confusing part.  Distortion product OAE's are essentially
     present bilaterally, but transient evoked emissions are absent.  I
     thought that DP and TE emissions were essentially reflecting the same
     process (ie: the motility of OHC's in the active process), but that
     they captured the process at slightly different stages.

     Is there any significance in this finding?

     Where do we go from here with this gentleman?

     Hope you can be of some help.

     Many thanks