Ototoxic Drugs (spec. Gentamycin)

Roving Reporter Tlshell at concentric.net
Sat Dec 27 18:43:41 EST 1997

A researcher who studies this sort of thing for a living
told me that my type of hearing loss is typical of antibiotic
caused hearing loss; I had pneumonia as an infant and was very
weak because I had been born prematurely. He said that very
sick people are more vulnerable to ototoxicity effects and of
course they're the ones who often get the antibiotics in the
first place. I agree though that it's a choice between hearing
loss or dying, and that this is a small price to pay for
survival. I don't resent being hard of hearing because in some
ways I think I like myself better than my hearing siblings who
have never had to question the way things are.

* Therese Shellabarger      -     tlshell at concentric.net *
* http://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/   Shalom chaverot! *
* See if I care about your opinion, the life I've led -- *
* each dawn I go forth with sword in hand, to sweep scum *
* from the decks of my battleship. Revenge at last, and  *
* it be sweet, too, 'cuz now I get the girl, _not you_.  *