History and Question

pallen at vax2.rainis.net pallen at vax2.rainis.net
Sun Feb 2 14:11:16 EST 1997

I have a question for any audiologist willing to take a stab at this:
I am a 35 y.o. female who has had hearing problems my whole life.
When I was 8 years old, I had my "ears drained" when I had my tonsils and
adenoids out. Since that time, my hearing has progressively gotten worse.
I do not know the exact extent of hearing loss, but my hearing is
sensitive in the high and low tonal ranges, with almost all of the hearing
loss in the speaking ranges. The last time my hearing was checked about
14 years ago, I was told that I had roughly a 35% hearing loss in my right
ear, and about 45% loss in the left ear.
The problem has progressed over the years, and now I occasionally have a
dizzy spell, and tinnitus once in a while. The loss has progressed to the
point that I can hardly enjoy watching TV anymore, and I must have people
face me when they speak (else I go "Huh? What'd you say? - getting really
good at partially reading lips).
I have recently seen an ent, who wants to wait until I have a dizzy spell,
and check my hearing and test for Menier's within 48 hours after a bout of
dizziness.
My question is this: Would I benefit from the testing the ENT wants to do?
It's a life-long problem, not a recent one, and does not seem to benefit
from decongestants and cutting down on salt, etc. I just want to know if a
hearing aid would help, or if there is some kind of surgical procedure
that would help, etc.
ANY comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm
going nuts here.
Thanks,
Paula
pallen at vax2.rainis.net