History and Question

DZAPALA dzapala at aol.com
Sun Feb 2 16:41:46 EST 1997

pallen at vax2.rainis.net wrote:

>My question is this: Would I benefit from the testing the ENT wants to
do?
>It's a life-long problem, not a recent one, and does not seem to benefit
>from decongestants and cutting down on salt, etc. I just want to know if
>hearing aid would help, or if there is some kind of surgical procedure
that would >help, etc. ANY comments or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. I feel like >I'm going nuts here.
>Thanks,
>Paula
>pallen at vax2.rainis.net

Paula:

I don't think anyone on this board is going to suggest that you do not
follow your physicians advise.  The truth is that you have a (gradually)
progressive hearing loss. If there is a way to stop or reverse the
progression, the time and inconvienance spent in diagnostic testing is
worth it.  As for the hearing aid, from what you wrote I think you will
probably end up with a set and they will probably help you alot.  If your
hearing is relatively stable, mayby you could discuss moving to the
hearing aids now with your ENT.  The risk of rushing is that if your
hearing improves, the hearing aids need to be re-fit.  Inconvienent, but
not so bad if you are having the problems you discribe.

Let us know what you find out.  Good Luck and Godspeed.

David Zapala