History and Question

zipjack bebb at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 2 18:00:02 EST 1997

pallen at vax2.rainis.net wrote:

>I have a question for any audiologist willing to take a stab at this:
>I am a 35 y.o. female who has had hearing problems my whole life.
>When I was 8 years old, I had my "ears drained" when I had my tonsils and
>adenoids out. Since that time, my hearing has progressively gotten worse.
>I do not know the exact extent of hearing loss, but my hearing is
>sensitive in the high and low tonal ranges, with almost all of the hearing
>loss in the speaking ranges. The last time my hearing was checked about
>14 years ago, I was told that I had roughly a 35% hearing loss in my right
>ear, and about 45% loss in the left ear.
>The problem has progressed over the years, and now I occasionally have a
>dizzy spell, and tinnitus once in a while. The loss has progressed to the
>point that I can hardly enjoy watching TV anymore, and I must have people
>face me when they speak (else I go "Huh? What'd you say? - getting really
>good at partially reading lips).
>I have recently seen an ent, who wants to wait until I have a dizzy spell,
>and check my hearing and test for Menier's within 48 hours after a bout of
>dizziness.
>My question is this: Would I benefit from the testing the ENT wants to do?

Hi. It sounds like the ENT wants to do this testing to rule out
problems that may be operable.  Sometimes also, if the ENT testing for
balance  problems finds that parts of your vestibular or balance
system are weak, there are therapies that can be tried to help the
condition.  In this sense, it is intelligent to rule out things that
may or may not be of benefit.. Better safe than sorry!
Your hearing loss sounds like the type they call a "cookie bite" loss,
which is sometimes genetic.  I would find an Audiologist who has some
experience fitting "Cookie bite" losses, as they can present special
fitting challenges. The new programmable hearing aids have the most
flexibility, and are probably your best bet. Good luck! Also remember
that learning to succeed with amplification can be a lengthy process,
and a worthwhile one. Be prepared for your adjustment to be an
evolution, rather than a quick fix!
Kate