History and Question

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Mon Feb 3 07:46:08 EST 1997

pallen at vax2.rainis.net wrote:

> I have recently seen an ent, who wants to wait until I have a dizzy spell,
> and check my hearing and test for Menier's within 48 hours after a bout of
> dizziness.

If you've been having spells for years, I see no advantage to waiting
for a spell to have this testing done. I suggest that you seek a
referral to a neurotologist,
(an ENT with crosstraining in neurology) who specializes in dizziness.
It's important to try to halt the progression of your hearing loss if
possible, so a current audiogram and other testing is critical.

> My question is this: Would I benefit from the testing the ENT wants to do?

Yes, it would aid in diagnosing you're problem, so that appropriate
treatment can be prescribed. Your surgical history doesn't explain the
current problems.

--
Thomas E. Boismier, MPH <boismier at umich.edu>
Assistant Director, Vestibular Testing Center