Job Available

Sandra and Dan Hobson danhobson at netins.net
Mon Feb 3 21:49:43 EST 1997

I find it interesting that someone who is turning over his business to the
"next genereation" who happen to be audiologists that could not have been
audiologists without the accrediation of master programs by ASHA would
trash it.  Yes, there has been a lack of response to audiologist's needs..
But too I think there has been a number of factors that impeded the self
esteem of audiologists as a worthwhile profession that can own and run
their own businesses, and not be treated as tech's by some of the ENT
profession.  There is such a diversity that we should applaud each other
for the thirst for knowledge to serve our client's needs...whether it be as
a school audiologist, OSHA/environmental audiologist,
clinical/diagnosticaudiologist, research audiologist, or last but never
least the dispensing audiologist.

 If I had listened to my dispenser Mr. Campbell from Omaha 30 years ago I
probably would have been a dispenser for the last 20+ years.  But having
experienced the work of the Crippled Children's Clinics and found out about
the audiology field I felt it was imperative to gain as much knowledge as
possible before trying to help others as myself. That is why ASHA is
important we do need to realize and study the interconnectiveness os
speech, language, and hearing in communication. Hearing alone does not
allow us to understand and counsel the whole person that comes to us for
help.  It is not just a matter of fitting a device on a person and saying,
"Alright ...now you can hear ...go forth and communicate."  Duh...I don't
think so, for some yes it may be that simple...but often there are
complicating factors, and we need to be there to help our clients, perhaps
directing them to other help besides the hearing aid.

It amazes me that any speech pathologist would start therapy on any client
before getting a full hearing evaluation, but it is done all the time.

I do have to Thank you Paul for taking that step to open my own practice,
since I did not fit into one of your Myers-Briggs psychological profile
squares as being compatible with your workstyle.  So I'll be celebrating 5
years this Spring in Des Moines, IA with a lot of support from my family
and the local community.

Congrats on your retirement. :-)  Sandra Hobson, M.A.,CCC-Audiologist U of
I '75
                                                 National DiCarlo Award '93
ASHF
                                                 National SHHH Community