Supersensitive hearing in Children

Stephen Nagler nagler at atl.mindspring.com
Fri Feb 7 14:51:50 EST 1997

pimalj at aol.com wrote:

>I recently received a phone call from a parent of a child who
>is "sensitive" to loud noises, voices, etc.  Her physician tells her
>not to worry--he will outgrow this behavior.  I have evaluated other
>children with "sensitive" hearing and have always had normal audiometric
>results. Somewhere in my readings I recall an article on sensitive hearing
>in children. Can anyone comment on the physiological or psychological
>(or ??) explanation for this sensitivity? Does anyone have a reference
>I can use for this parent?  Thanks!
>Lori K.

>      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Sounds to me like this child may have hyperacusis.  I'd expect to see
a normal audiogram.  How about loudness testing?

A good source for hyperacusis would be the folks at the Oregon Hearing
Research Center in Portland.  You might present the case to Dr. Jack
Vernon, who is usually there on Wednesdays answering phone calls
(503)494-2187, or to Dr. Robert Johnson, who is there on Thursdays
(503)494-7954.

Good luck!

SMN

Stephen Nagler    nagler at mindspring.com    Atlanta, GA  USA