Supersensitive hearing in Children

pimalj at aol.com pimalj at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 14:11:22 EST 1997

I recently received a phone call from a parent of a child who
is "sensitive" to loud noises, voices, etc.  Her physician tells her
not to worry--he will outgrow this behavior.  I have evaluated other
children with "sensitive" hearing and have always had normal audiometric
results. Somewhere in my readings I recall an article on sensitive hearing
in children. Can anyone comment on the physiological or psychological
(or ??) explanation for this sensitivity? Does anyone have a reference
I can use for this parent?  Thanks!
Lori K.