Need Advice on Threhold ABRs

SeaCapn at aol.com SeaCapn at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 12:15:31 EST 1997

I am an audiologist at a rehab hospital.  Our director wants to start
offering threshold ABRs with sedation for infants.  I already do infants
unsedated (under 5 months old).  I do have experience doing ABRs with
sedation at a previous place of employment.  At that hospital, we had a nurse
administer the sedation, after the order was written by an ENT.  At the rehab
hospital where I am now, we have been unable to get nursing support.  Our
director wants to do it anyway, and have the ENT (who is only there a few
hours a week) administer the sedation.  I don't think this will work (is the
ENT really going to want to squirt chloral hydrate into a squirming child's
mouth?)  Also, the hospital doesn't seem any good sedation guidelines, and
they seem unconcerned.  I am worried what will happen if we have a problem.
 Am I worried over nothing?

Any advice?  Please e-mail me at SeaCapn at aol.com.